14 Day Marriage Challenge:
Day 1 // Monday, April 24 : Love is patient
- Although love is communicated in a number of ways, our words often reflect the condition of our heart. Resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse for the entire day.
- Ephesians 4:2
Day 2 // Tuesday, April 25 : Love is kind
- Do at least one unexpected gesture as an act of kindness.
- Ephesians 4:32
Day 3 // Wednesday, April 26 : Love is not selfish
- It is hard to care for something you are not investing in. Buy your spouse something that says, "I was thinking of you today."
- Romans 12:10
Day 4 // Thursday, April 27 : Love is thoughtful
- Reach out to your spouse sometime during day. Have no agenda other than asking how he or she is doing and there is anything you could do for them.
- Psalm 139:17-18
Day 5 // Friday, April 28 : Love is not irritable
- Choose today to react to tough circumstances in your marriage in loving ways instead of with irritation. Begin making a list of areas where you need to add margin to your schedule. Then list any wrong motivations you need to release from your life. Share these things with your spouse.
- Proverbs 16:32
Day 6 // Saturday, April 29 : Love is unconditional
- Do something out of the ordinary today for your spouse - something that proves (to you and to them) that your love is based on your choices and nothing else. Wash her car. Clean the kitchen. Buy his favorite dessert. Fold the laundry. Demonstrate love to them for the simple joy of being their partner in marriage.
- Romans 5:8
Day 7 // Sunday, April 30 : Love lets the other win
- Demonstrate love by willingly choosing to give in to an area of disagreement between you and your spouse.
- Philippians 2:4
Day 8 // Monday, May 1 : Love takes delight
- Purposefully give up an activity you would normally do that day so you can spend quality time with your spouse. Do something he or she would love to do or a project they'd really like to work on. Just be together.
- Ecclesiastes 9:9
Day 9 // Tuesday, May 2 : Love intercedes
- Begin praying today for your spouse. Pray for three specific areas where you desire for God to work in your spouse's life and in your marriage.
- 3 John 2
Day 10 // Wednesday, May 3 : Love forgives
- Whatever you have not forgiven your spouse for, forgive them today. Let it go. Just as we ask Jesus to "forgive us our debts" each day, we must ask him to help us "forgive our debtors" each day as well. That includes your spouse.
- 2 Corinthians 2:10
Day 11 // Thursday, May 4 : Love makes sacrifices
- What are the greatest needs in your spouse's life right now? Is there a weight you could help lift from their shoulders today by an act of sacrifice on your part? Whether the need is big or small, purpose to do what you can to meet the need.
- 1 John 3:16
Day 12 // Friday, May 5 : Love brings unity
- Isolate one area of division in your marriage, and look on today as a fresh opportunity to pray about it. Ask the Lord to reveal anything in your own heart that is keeping you from oneness with your spouse. If appropriate, discuss this matter openly, seeking God for unity.
- John 17:11
Day 13 // Saturday, May 6 : Love is God's Word
- Commit to reading the Bible every day. If your spouse is open to it, ask them to commit to being in the Word every day with you.
- Psalm 119:105
Day 14 // Sunday, May 7 : Love fulfills dreams
- Have a conversation with your spouse about their dreams. Then commit their dreams to prayer, and start mapping out a plan for meeting some (if not all) of their desires, to whatever level you possibly can.
- Psalm 37:4